Born in Lucignano (Arezzo – Italy) 8-8-1954. Current Position: Associate Professor, University of Florence,Faculty of Agriculture. Director of the Laboratory for Landscape and Cultural Heritage of the University ofFlorence. Coordinator, Interdepartmental Unit on Management and Conservation of Rural Landscape, University of Florence. He teaches the courses of planning of rural landscape and environmental history at the Faculty ofAgriculture University of Florence. Director of the Master Course “Agricultural Heritage Systems”. Most his recentactivities are dedicated to the valorization of rural landscapes and agroforest systems. He has teaching experience in USA, Germany, France, Poland. He has published more than 250 scientific papers and he is the author/editor of 20 books.
- Co-Editor in chief “Global Journal of interdisciplinary history”, White Horse Press.
- Editor in chief, book series on Environmental History, Springer
- Scientific Coordinator, National Register of Historical Rural Landscapes and Traditional Agricultural Practices. Ministry of Agriculture Food and Forest Policies.
- Scientific expert, Council of Europe, Strasbourg, European Landscape
- Expert Evaluator, Cultural Landscape, UNESCO World Heritage
- 2016-2021 Chair, Scientific Committee, FAO “Globally Important Agricultural Heritage Systems” program.
- 2016-2021 President, Landscape Observatory, Government of Tuscany Region, Italy.‑
- 2018, Coordinator, Application of Prosecco landscape to the UNESCO World Heritage List.
- 2016, Coordinator, Management Plan , UNESCO site of Cinque Terre.
- 2014, Chair, Scientific Committee for the writing of the UNESCO-SCBD Florence declaration on the linkagesbetween cultural and biological diversity.
- 2007-13, Coordinator, Landscape Strategy, Italian National Strategic Plan for Rural Development
- 2005-2014; Coordinator, Research Group “Forest History and traditional knowledge”, International Union ofForest Research Organization (IUFRO)”.
- 2005-2009, Vice president, European Society for Environmental
- 2007, Coordinator , Guidelines for the application of social and cultural values in sustainable forest management, Interministerial Conference for the Protection of Forest in Europe (MCPFE).
– In 2019 and 2020 Prof. Agnoletti was included in the 100.000 most influencial researcher at world level by PLOS Biology.
– 2006, Regional Government of Tuscany – Ministry of Environment, diploma award for the contribution to the knowledge and protection of rural
– 2008, Regional Government of Tuscany, prize “Ideal city”, project for the Rural Landscape Park of
– 2019, Bologna Award , FICO Foundation, for Rural Landscape studies.
- Agnoletti M., Piras F., Venturi M., Santoro A., Cultural values and forest dynamics: The Italian forests in the last 150 years, Forest Ecology and Management, Volume 503, 2022, 119655, ISSN 0378-1127, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foreco.2021.119655.
- Parrotta J, Agnoletti M. Preface, Restoration of cultural values in forested landscapes, Forest Ecology and Management, Special Issue on Restoration of cultural values in forested landscapes, 505 , 2022,
- Santoro, A.; Venturi, M.; Agnoletti, M. Landscape Perception and Public Participation for the Conservation and Valorization of Cultural Landscapes: The Case of the Cinque Terre and Porto Venere UNESCO Site. Land 2021, 10, 93. https://doi.org/10.3390/land10020093
- Agnoletti M, Piras P, Manganelli S., Covid-19 and rural landscape: the case of Italy, Landscape and Urban Planning, Volume 204, 2020, 103955, ISSN 0169-2046, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2020.103955
- Angelstam, P., Manton, M., Yamelynets, T.Agnoletti, M. et al. Maintaining natural and traditional cultural green infrastructures across Europe: learning from historic and current landscape transformations. Landscape Ecol (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10980-020-01161-y
- Santoro, A.; Martinez Aguilar, E.A.; Venturi, M.; Piras, F.; Corrieri, F.; Quintanilla, J.R.; Agnoletti, M. The Agroforestry Heritage System of Sabana De Morro in El Salvador. Forests2020, 11, 747.
- Santoro A., Venturi M., Agnoletti M. (2020). Agricultural Heritage Systems and Landscape Perception among The Case of Lamole, Chianti (Italy). Sustainability, 12(9), 3509; https://doi.org/10.3390/su12093509.
- Santoro A., Venturi M., Ben Maachia S., Benyahia F., Corrieri F, Piras F., Agnoletti M. (2020). Agroforestry heritage systems as agrobiodiversity hotspots. The case of the mountain oases of Tunisia. Sustainability, 2(10), 4054;https://doi.org/10.3390/su12104054
- Agnoletti M., Emanueli F., Corrieri F., Venturi M., Santoro A. (2019). Monitoring Traditional Rural Landscapes. The Case of Italy. Sustainability, 11, 6107; doi:10.3390/su11216107.
- Agnoletti M., Errico A., Santoro A., Dani A., Preti F. (2019). Terraced landscapes and hydrogeological risk. The effects of land abandonment in Cinque Terre (Italy) during severe rainfall events. Sustainability, 11, 235; doi:10.3390/su11010235.
- Agnoletti M., Tredici M., Santoro A.,2015, Biocultural diversity and landscape patterns in three historical rural areas of Morocco, Cuba and Italy, Biodiversity and Conservation, 24:3387–3404 , DOI 10.1007/s10531-015-1013-6
- Agnoletti M. Rotherham I.D., 2015, Landscape and Biocultural Diversity, Biodiversity and Conservation, 24:3155-3165, DOI 10.1007/s10531-015-1003-8
- Agnoletti M., 2014, Rural landscape, nature conservation and culture: Some notes on research trends and management approaches from a (southern)European perspective, Landscape and Urban Planning. 126 (2014) 66-73. (Listed in the 1% most read papers in 2018-21 by WoS)
- Agnoletti, M., 2007, The degradation of traditional landscape in a mountain area of Tuscany during the 19th and 20th centuries: implications for biodiversity and sustainable management.Forest Ecology and Management 249 (1/2), Special Issue on Traditional Knowledge, Cultural Heritage and Sustainable Forest Management, Guest editors John A. Parrotta and Mauro Agnoletti : 5-17.
- Agnoletti M., Emanueli F., 2016, Biocultural Diversity in Europe, Springer Verlag, Dordrecht.
- Agnoletti M., Neri Serneri S., (eds.) 2014, The Basic Environmental History. Springer, Dordrecht.
- Agnoletti M., 2012, ed. , The Italian Historical Rural Landscape. Cultural values for the environment and rural development, Springer Verlag, Dordrecht.
- Agnoletti M., ed. 2006, The conservation of cultural landscapes, CAB International, Wallingford and New York.
- Agnoletti M., Anderson S., 2000, editors, Methods and approaches in forest history, CAB International, Wallingford and New York.